Project Server 2003 Suite contains Microsoft Office Project Server 2003, MS Project Professional 2003 and Windows SharePoint Services 2.0.
The most current service pack level for MS Project Server 2003 is SP3(SP3 contains a file converter that enables Project 2003 to read the new Project 2007 file format and improvements to Project's ability to load large master projects.)
The most current service pack level for MS Project Professional 2003 is SP3.
Make sure both Project Server 2003 and Project Professional 2003 are on the latest and same service pack level.
How to determine the MS Project Server 2003 version: To determine the service pack level, you have to check the installed service pack level for Project Server 2003 application and Project Server Database.
Determine Service Pack (SP) level of Project Server 2003 Application:
The easiest method to determine the version of PDS.DLL under Program Files folder.
- On Project Server machine, navigate to path \Program Files\Microsoft Office Project Server 2003\BIN\PDS.dll
- Right click on PDS.DLL to view the properties
- Click on Version tab and look for File version.
If File Version shows 11.2003.0.816 -> No Service pack installed
11.2004.0.1707 -> SP1
11.2005.0.3801 -> SP2
11.2005.0.4110 -> SP2a
11.2007.0.3529 -> Sp3
Determine Service Pack (SP) level of Project Server 2003 Database:
To determine whether Office Project Server 2003 has been updated to SP3 is to query the MSP_WEB_ADMIN table in Project Server 2003 database.
- Logon to SQL Server where Project Server 2003 database is installed
- Run the following SQL query against Project Server 2003 database
SELECT WADMIN_VERSION_MAJOR, WADMIN_VERSION_MINOR
WADMIN_VERSION_MAJOR value should be 11
WADMIN_VERSION_MINOR is 0 means, No Service pack installed
WADMIN_VERSION_MINOR is 1 means, SP1 applied
WADMIN_VERSION_MINOR is 2 means, SP2 or SP2a applied
WADMIN_VERSION_MINOR is 3 means, SP3 applied
Determine WSS 2.0 Project Template Version:
If you are using Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) 2.0 with Project Server and
you have not already upgraded to Project Server 2003 SP1 or SP2,
you will also want to update the Project Server template files on server running Windows SharePoint Services.
You have to update the Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 Project Template to sync with Service Pack level.
To determine Service Pack level of Project Template, please do the following:
- Logon to Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 machine
- Navigate to \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\1033\PWAINC
- Look for the Date Modified for CUSTOM.JS, PWADOC.JS and PWAISSUE.JS
Date Modified should be 3/25/2004 for SP1 and later
Determine Service Pack (SP) level of MS Project Professional 2003:
- On client computer, Launch MS Project Professional 2003
- Help menu > About Microsoft Office Project
- On client computer, navigate to \Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINPROJ.exe
- Right click on Winproj.exe to view the properties
- Click on Version tab and look for File version information
11.0.2003.816 -> No Service Pack Installed
11.1.2004.1707 -> SP1
11.2.2005.1801 -> SP2
11.3.2007.1529 -> SP3
Note: By using Method 1, you will see the SP number listed.