The SharePoint site structure always based on the template you specified under Site Provision settings. A Project Workspace is a default template and all the sites on WSS will be create based on the structure of Project Workspace template. By default, Project Workspace will have “Shared Documents, Contacts, Issues, risks, General Discussions, Links, Logo and Survey”
In general, the following scenarios demands to extended the project workspace.
Scenario 1: SharePoint site structure based on default project workspace is not address your organization needs. So you decided to have customized site and want to use that site structure for all the SharePoint sites.
Scenario 2: You already have Project SharePoint site and it contains structured document libraries, well defined list formats and customized look and feel. You want to create Project Workspace template based on this existing site.
In both the scenarios, you need to define new site template and deploy the template as workspace template for all future SharePoint sites.
In Scenario 1 , please use the following steps from 1 to 6
In Scenario 2, please use the following steps from 3 to 6 (Step 1 and Step 2 not required in this Scenario.)
The following steps will be required to customize the project workspace template.
- Step 1: Create a New Site by using the default template
- Step 2: Customize the Site as per your needs
- Step 3: Save the Site as Template (stp file)
- Step 4: Download the Site Template
- Step 5: Deploy the Site Template on Project Server
- Step 6: Set Site Provisioning Settings
Step 1: Create a New Site by using the default template
- Project Web Access -> Click on Admin > Manage Windows SharePoint Services > Manage SharePoint Sites.
- Click on “Go to Site Administration” (You will find this on top of grid at right corner)
- Under Administration, Click on “Go to Site Administration”
- Under “Management and Statistics”, Click on “ Manage Sites and Workspaces”
- Click “Create” link
- Specify Title; Description: URL and Permissions settings
- Click on "Create"
- In the Template Section, choose the “Project Workspace” and click “OK”
Template Site will be created
Step 2: Customize the Site as per your needs
Step 3: Save the Site as Template
- Site Settings -> Go to Site Administration
- Under Site Administration -> Management and Statistics -> Save site as template
- Specify file name and Template Title ; here you also have option to include the content for template -> Click OK
- Click on “Site template gallery” link
Step 4: Deploy the Site Template on Project Server
- Copy the exported template file to a location on the project server.
- On Project Server machine, open up a command prompt and Type
cd c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60\BIN
- Press Enter
- Please specify the command in following syntax:
Stsadm –o addtemplate –filename -title
Example: stsadm -o addtemplate -filename "\MyWorkspaceTemplate.stp" -title "Test Workspace Title"
If you want to see the detailed steps with screen shots, please refer the
Registering a template on server
- If successful, you will receive a message stating that IIS needs to be restarted. Type:
Step 5: Set Site Provisioning Settings
Browse to Project Web Access > Admin > Manage Windows SharePoint Services > Site Provisioning Settings.
In the Site Template field, select the template that you just uploaded. Also specify the settings for "Settings for Web site creation "