Single server architecture may be appropriate for evaluation purposes, developers or for an isolated non-mission critical departmental implementation with only a few users, but Microsoft do not recommend its use for a production environment.
This article describes the complete sequence of Project Server 2010 installation on single machine.
Note: The below steps also applicable to two machine installation. On two server installation, you are installing SQL Server in one machine and installing Project Server on another machine. Two server architecture is useful to serve only limited deployments, with a minimal set of service applications enabled, a relatively small user base, a relatively low usage load (a few request per min up to very few requests per second), and a relatively small volume of data (10s of gigabytes).
If you have large user base and anticipating heavy usage of MS Project Server and SharePoint 2010, please consider the three tier mode (Web Front-End Server, Application Server and one or more Database Servers).
Sequence of steps to be follow for installation:
- Prepare machine(s) as per Hardware requirements
- Obtain all required software copies and product keys
- Perform clean install of your choice operation system to build machine to host Project Server and SQL Server
- Install SQL Server 2008 R2 or compatabile SQL Server database
- Prepare SQL Server for Project Server 2010 installation
- Install SharePoint 2010 Pre-requisites
- Install SharePoint Server 2010
- Run the configuration Wizard to Create SharePoint Content and Config Databases
- Install Project Server 2010
- Enable required services
- Create Site Collection
- Create PWA Site
Please read the detailed article Project Server 2010 Farm Installation for more detailed steps.