Note: The following instructions are only applicable, if you already installed SharePoint Server 2010 and created top-level site collection to host your Project Web Access instance.
Project Server 2010 has capability to host multiple PWA sites on same farm. The following section describes the creating first PWA site on your Project Server 2010 instance.
When you create a Microsoft Project Web App (PWA) site, the required databases are created automatically on the instance of Microsoft SQL Server that you specify.
PWA site creates four Project Server databases intend to store Draft, Published, Archive and Reporting data. PWA creation will prompt you to enter the name for project server database. PWA instance also associate with one content database which was created as a part of your Project Server 2010 installation.
PWA creation will prompt you to specify the web application name to host PWA, Name of the PWA, Administrator account, and Database Server name.
PWA site creation also possible using Power Shell commands. Please see at end of this article for steps.
Create PWA site using Central Administration site:
- In SharePoint Central Administration, in the Application Management section, click Manage service applications
- On the Manage Service Applications page, click the Project Server Service Application
- On the Manage Project Web App Sites page, click Create Project Web App Site
- Enter the required information to create the PWA site
- Click OK
Project Server starts the PWA site creation process. This may take some time.
When the site creation process is complete, the status shown on the PWA site list is provisioned.
NOTE: Once the PWA site has been provisioned, verify that it was created in the content database that associated with web application used in PWA creation.
Create PWA site using Power Shell commands (SharePoint 2010 Management Shell):
- Log on to Project Server 2010 machine
- On the Start menu, click All Programs, Click on Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products, Right click on SharePoint 2010 Management Shell -> Run as Administrator
- Use the following syntax to create new PWA site; Use the appropriate values within " " in below syntax.
New-SPProjectWebInstance -Url "pwa url" -AdminAccount "admin account with domain" -PrimaryDbserver "database server name" -PublishedDbname "Published database name" -ArchiveDbname "Archive database name" -DraftDbname "Draft database name" -ReportingDbserver "Database server name for Reporting" -ReportingDbname "Reporting database name"
- "Creation of PWA site queued" message displayed on Shell window
- Launch SharePoint Central Administration site, Application Management section, click Manage service applications, On the Manage Service Applications page, click the Project Server Service Application, On the Manage Project Web App Sites page, you can see the status of PWA site creation (Use "Refresh" link to view the updated status)
New-SPProjectWebInstance -url "http://chakserver/PWA" -AdminAccount "CHAKSERVER\Administrator" -PrimaryDbserver "chakserver"
-PublishedDbname "ProjectServer_Published" -ArchiveDbname "ProjectServer_Archive" -DraftDbname "ProjectServer_Draft" -ReportingDbserver "chak-sql"