You can create a task by typing a name in the “Task Name” field in one of the rows of the task sheet portion of the Gantt chart.
Enter Task Details:
- Open the project plan (or blank project)
- View menu -> Gantt chart
- Select a cell in the Task Name column
- Type the task name; complete the cell entry by pressing Enter
After completing the cell entry, project fills in default duration of 1 day for the new task, and defaults start and finish dates for the task. Then your cursor stays at new row for you to enter the next task.
Please set the required duration for task. Generally MS Project will calculate the schedule dates based on duration, resource units and task dependencies.
Inserting a task between other tasks:
Steps: Select a cell in the row where you want the new task to appear
Insert menu ->New Task
Select a cell of the task that you want to delete
Edit menu -> Delete Task
Intending Tasks (Grouping tasks in to Phases)
Tasks in project plan need to be organized into group of activities that represents major phases of a project. This is equivalent of the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS). The major phase is a summary task and you do not have ability to modify the details of summary task. Summary task start date is the earliest start date of any of its subtasks, and finish date is the latest finish date of any of its subtasks.
Suppose I have the following tasks in Gantt chart:
- Client meetings
- Draw data flow diagrams
- Prepare functional diagram
- Lists current system limitations
I would like to define all the above tasks under task (phase) called “Requirements Specifications”
- List tasks on Gantt chart under Task Name column
- Insert a new task called “Requirements Specifications” as a first task
- Select all the detailed tasks and choose “->” On tool bar
- Now, Gantt chart displays the summary and detailed tasks as follows: