If you are trying to open project plan and it appears as checked out in the File-> Open dialog box, it means your previous connection to project server was interrupted or if Project Professional is closed abruptly before you can check in a project.
You can force a check-in of your own project by using the "Check in my projects " link in the Project Center.
Please note, this feature only to check in projects that you checked out by you; you can not check in project that was checked out by another user. Only a Project Server administrator can check in a project that is checked out to any user.
- Click on “Project Center” link on PWA home page
- Project list will be displayed
- Click on Go To list button and choose Check in my projects
- Force Check-in My Projects page will be displayed.This page lists all projects currently checked out by you. Look for the project/projects that preventing you to open, select the check box left to the project
- Click on Check in link to check in project to the server
- Click on OK on confirmation dialog box to check in project
Review the Job State column, if it says “Processing”, it means still system is processing your check-in request. Refresh browser and make sure your request has been processed.
Check in My Projects in MS Project Server 2003